French meteorologist predicts a mixed summer & early cold winterYan Giezendanner places his bets on the outlook for this summer
Yan Giezendanner, renown meteorologist amongst mountaineers, has announced a long term weather forecast indicating a mixed summer in the Alps and an early arrival of snow.
The Meteo France (French national weather service) meteorologist is well known for his precise weather forecasts that mountaineers have grown to depend on, with his outlook to 'not risk lives in the mountains due to the weather and optimise the time at altitude'.
Developing his own methods, Yan has turned a science into a passion, notably for medium to long term forecasts with a proven sucess.
So without further ado the summer 2012 weather forecast goes a little something like this:
- Up unitl 25th : a predominate wind from the West will bring rainy patches in between hot periods although no signs of a heatwave
- 26th - 31st : sunny and hot with temperatures reaching 35°C down the valley. The 0°C isotherm will be around 5000 metres.
- 1st - 10th : Normal summer weather with risk of thunderstorms in the evening
- 11th - 17th : Sunny and very hot
- 18th - 28th : Normal summer weather with risk of thunderstorms in the evening
- 29th - 31st : A cool and rainy end to the month
- 1st - 15th : Under an anticyclone, hot and sunny calm settled weather
- 16th - 28th : Disturbance coming in from the West will bring some rain
- 29th - 30th : Temperatures to drop and first snow fall down to mid-mountain