Discover the secrets of how Tomme cheese is traditionally crafted in Bagnes and take it home with you.
You may already be a fan of its celebrated flavour, but do you know how Bagnes cheese is made? Discover the secret to how artisanal tomme cheese is made – a one-of-a-kind experience in the region.
The cheese workshop is run by Marc, who took on the reins of the Verbier dairy from his father. Thanks to Marc’s expertise and passion for his work, you’ll have no trouble at all stepping into the shoes of an apprentice cheesemaker. Each workstation has its own cooking pot, which you will use to make your own Bagnes tomme (one cheese per workstation). You’ll follow the production process from A to Z, benefiting from Marc’s explanations at each step along the way. While the cheese is draining in the colander, you’ll get the chance to try some of the dairy’s other products, including vieux bagnes, tomme and other house specialities. At the end of the workshop, you can take home the tomme you made with your own hands or leave it to mature at the dairy.
- The activity will take place with a minimum of 4 workstations and a maximum of 10. A workstation can be used by one or two persons.
- The activity is accessible to children from 6 years old. Children between 6 and 10 years old must be accompanied by an adult.
- Workshops tailored to special requirements can be held for groups.
Booking available from June 1st 2019
What do I need to do?
1. Book and pay at the tourist office in Verbier or Le Châble by 4 pm until the day before.
2. On the day of the workshop, meet at the Verbier dairy in Verbier-Village at 5 pm (next to the church).
3. Take your own Bagnes tomme home with you at the end of the workshop.
CHF 50.- per workstation